Mission, Vision, and Collective Commitments
to develop life-long learners, independent thinkers, and productive citizens of character.
- Where students will be safe, comfortable, and respected by faculty and fellow students.
- Where the rigor of our curriculum will challenge students to achieve at their full potential on each level of their learning process.
- Where our faculty is committed to developing long-term mentoring relationships with their students.
Our Vision for Learning
Colfax-Mingo’s vision is to ensure curriculum, instruction, and assessment are student centered and focused on continuous improvement. Meaningful learning is achieved through collaboration, technology integration, and high expectations for all.
Our Collective Commitments
|1||We commit to collaborating through PLCs|
|2||We commit to developing and delivering a guaranteed and viable curriculum|
|3||We commit to continuously reviewing and responding to assessment data|
|4||We commit to using evidence-based instructional strategies|
|5||We commit to using an MTSS structure that responds to both social-emotional and academic needs|
A little about Colfax-Mingo Community School District:
- Located along I-80 between Altoona and Newton, less than 30 minutes to downtown Des Moines.
- Serves approximately 750 students from Colfax, Mingo, Valeria, Ira, in western Jasper county.
- Academic, athletic, fine art and social opportunities are a top priority of the district.
- Member of the South Iowa Conference offering a variety of extra-curricular opportunities.
- Students have the opportunity to have an associates degree when they graduate.
- Smaller size; gives staff the ability to know your student on a personal level, keeping them engaged and on track to graduate, with a 97% graduation rate.
- Construction is complete on the new safe and secure entrances into our elementary and secondary buildings.
- Graduating seniors from Colfax-Mingo have received tremendous support with scholarships. Students graduating from Colfax-Mingo have earned over $300,000 in scholarships each of the last three years.
- Our student population has grown for five of the last six years.
- Our buses have internet available on them for our students daily and on activity routes.
- Our district pays for all juniors to take the ACT exam.
- We have 1:1 computer to student ratio K-12
- All of our elementary students and one-third of our secondary students participate in our music program.
- CMCSD offers a comprehensive preschool program and offers free door-to-door transportation to all district families.
- Our communities of Colfax and Mingo are moving forward with priorities to grow our communities. Our city leaders work diligently to support our community members and our schools.
2019 Bond Referendum
- A staggering 77% of our community passed the bond referendum on November 5, 2019!
- 18 million dollars in facilities updates including a multi-sport stadium, gymnasium and wellness center, building updates, and more!
- The stadium will be complete in the summer of 2022 and the gymnasium in the Fall of 2022.
I am especially excited to be in Colfax-Mingo because of the family atmosphere throughout our communities. There has been and continues to be a commitment to excellence in everything we do. Our foundational beliefs and commitments can be witnessed in each interaction with our students. Welcome to Tigerhawk Country!