605.16 – Web Page Policy
The Colfax-Mingo Community School District makes Internet access available to staff and students. The District also maintains a District Web site. The purpose of the Web site is to provide a source of up-to-date information about the District and the programs offered to students, parents, and the community. The Web site also provides an opportunity for teachers to showcase student work.
This policy outlines the guidelines and responsibilities of individual web page authors who create and maintain pages of the Colfax-Mingo Community School District site.
Ownership and Credit
All Web pages on the District’s server become the property of the Colfax-Mingo Community School District. The Technology Coordinator is responsible for all Internet hardware, connections, and infrastructure support systems. The District reserves the right to remove any web page(s) that do not adhere to the guidelines described in this policy.
Web Page Content
- All web page content should be related to District or individual school information, curriculum and instruction, school activities, or general information which would be of interest.
- Staff or student work that is published will be related to class projects, course work, or school-related activities.
- Individual student or staff personal Web pages or Web pages for other individuals or organizations not directly affiliated with the District may not be published on the District’s server.
- All communications via the District Web pages will comply with the Board-approved District Internet Appropriate Use Policy.
- All Web pages will be free of spelling and grammatical errors.
- Web page content shall be kept current and will be the responsibility of the building administrator, designated staff member, or web page author.
- The District website will support individual teacher web pages that adhere to District policy. The individual web page author will be accountable for all content and links contained on the pages he/she authors.
- The district provides an e-mail account for staff and will retain the right to publish these e-mail addresses on the District website.
- Student expression on the District website will not be deemed to be an expression of the school district. The District, the Board, and the employees or officials are not liable in any civil or criminal action for any student expression made by students unless the employees or officials have interfered with or altered the content of the student expression.
Web Page Design
- All building home pages will link to the District home page.
- All building pages will link to the building home page.
- Pages will avoid the need for excessive scrolling.
- Personnel should adhere to all copyright laws in the building of Web pages.
- Pages should be professional, legible, and consistent in content.
- Backlinks should be provided on individual staff pages to the appropriate building home page as well as the District home page.
- The District will use discretion in the use of student information on the district website to respect students.
- The District will follow the Board Policy on the release of student information stated in Student Directory Information Board Policy #506.2.
- Parent’s/legal guardians can deny the inclusion of general information about their child by filling out the refusal slip.
- It is the responsibility of the individual web author to check for the existence of this parental refusal form prior to posting student information. These slips are on file in the individual buildings.
Concern about the content of any page(s) created by students or staff should be directed to the building administrator or the Director of Communications.
Date of Adoption: August 18, 2014
Reviewed & Revised: June 17, 2019