305.00 – Superintendent Duties
The Board employs a superintendent of schools to serve as the chief executive officer of the Board. The Board delegates to the superintendent the authority to implement Board policy and to execute decisions made by the Board concerning the internal operations of the school district, unless specifically stated otherwise.
The superintendent is responsible for the implementation and execution of Board policy and the observance of Board policy by employees and students. The superintendent is responsible for the overall supervision and discipline of employees and the education program.
In executing the above-stated duties, the superintendent will consider the financial situation of the school district as well as the needs of the students.
Specifically, the superintendent:
- Interprets and implements all Board policies and all state and federal laws relevant to education;
- Supervises, either directly or through delegation, all activities of the school system according to, and consistent with, the policies of the Board;
- Represents the Board as a liaison between the school district and the community;
- Establishes and maintains a program of public relations to keep the public well-informed of the activities and needs of the school district, effecting a wholesome and cooperative working relationship between the school district and the community;
- Attends and participates in all meetings of the Board, except when the superintendent has been excused and makes recommendations affecting the school district;
- Reports to the Board on such matters as deemed material to the understanding and proper management of the school district or as the Board may request;
- Assumes responsibility for the overall financial planning of the district and for the preparation of the annual budget, and submits it to the Board for review and approval;
- Establishes and maintains efficient procedures and effective controls for all expenditures of school district funds in accordance with the adopted budget, subject to the direction and approval of the Board;
- Files, or causes to be filed, all reports required by law;
- Makes recommendations to the Board for the selection of employees for the school district;
- Makes and records assignments and transfers of all employees pursuant to their qualifications;
- Employs such employees as may be necessary, within the limits of budgetary provisions and subject to the Board’s approval;
- Recommends to the Board, for final action, the promotion, salary change, demotion, or dismissal of any employee;
- Prescribes rules for the classification and advancement of students, and for the transfer of students from one building to another in accordance with Board policies;
- Summons employees of the school district to attend such regular and occasional meetings as are necessary to carry out the education program of the school district;
- Supervises methods of teaching, supervision, and administration in effect in the schools;
- Attends such conventions and conferences as are necessary to keep informed of the latest educational trends;
- Accepts responsibility for the general efficiency of the school system, for the development of the employees, and for the educational growth and the welfare of the students;
- Defines educational needs and formulates policies and plans for recommendation to the Board;
- Makes administrative decisions necessary for the proper functioning of the school district;
- Responsible for scheduling the use of buildings and grounds by all groups and/or organizations;
- Acts as the purchasing agent for the Board, and establishes procedures for the purchase of books, materials, and supplies;
- Approves vacation schedules for 12-month employees;
- Conducts periodic district administration meetings;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
- Supervises the establishment or modification of the boundaries of school attendance and transportation areas subject to the approval of the Board; and
- Directs studies of buildings and sites, taking into consideration population trends and the educational and cultural needs of the district in order to ensure timely decisions by the Board and the electorate regarding construction and renovation projects.
This list of duties will not act to limit the Board’s authority and responsibility over the superintendent. In executing these duties and others the Board may delegate, the superintendent will consider the school district’s financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the school district.
Date of Adoption: January 21, 2013
Reviewed & Revised: February 20, 2017