402.09 – Substitute Teachers
Certified Teacher Substitutes
The rate of pay for certified licensed substitute teachers will be the established rate of pay per day of employment. The hours worked will be 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. After 10 consecutive workdays in the same position, the salary will go to the regular base pay scale.
Non-Certified Teacher Substitutes
A non-certified teacher substitute may be employed provided the individual has obtained a substitute authorization. The substitute authorization will allow an individual to substitute in junior high school, or high school for no more than five consecutive days in one job assignment. In order to be eligible for a substitute authorization, an individual must hold a para-educator certificate AND complete a course provided by the Area Education Agency which will allow that person to substitute in a special education classroom in which the individual para-educator is employed only.
The substitute authorization may be issued to an individual who:
- has successfully completed all the requirements of the approved substitute authorization course.
- has achieved at least one of the following:
- holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, or
- has completed an approved para-educator certification program, and holds a para-educator certificate,
- has attained a minimum age of 21 years.
- has successfully completed an lowa Division of Criminal Investigation background check.
- has successfully completed a National Criminal History background check.
Date of Adoption: September 3, 1991
Reviewed & Revised: October 7, 1996; February 21, 2000; November 6, 2000; March 11, 2002; January 15, 2007; March 21, 2016; November 6, 2000; March 11, 2002; January 15, 2007; March 21, 2016; September 17, 2018