604.03 – Program for Talented & Gifted Students
The Board recognizes some students require programming beyond the regular education program. The Board will identify students with special abilities and provide educational programming.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to develop a talented and gifted program that provides for identifying students, for program evaluation, and for the training of employees. The following measures are in place to ensure said responsibilities are accomplished:
- Student needs are identified in each individual through collecting valid, systematic information.
- Goals and performance standards are addressed by teachers, parents, and students on a yearly basis in a personalized education plan (PEP).
- Programming modifications will occur in the regular curriculum to provide continuous levels of challenge for all students with unique intellectual gifts and talents.
- Flexible grouping of identified students facilitates academic and social enrichment as well as acceleration.
- Advocating for gifted students is essential to the long-term success of the students and the program.
- All staff members participate in training, professional development, and resource acquisition to properly service gifted students.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code 257.42-.49 (20070 ;281.I.A.C. 12.5(12); 59.
Date of Adoption: December 21, 1992
Reviewed & Revised: June 1, 1998; January 19, 2009; March 21, 2016; June 17, 2019