409.03B – Custodial Maintenance Employee
The custodial/maintenance personnel shall be responsible for providing students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play, and develop. Custodial/maintenance personnel are employed to maintain the building and its contents in order that the best learning environment possible will be provided.
This employee will receive vacation in accordance with the AFSCME contract for the current year.
The purchase of supplies must receive approval from the superintendent’s office. This employee shall not dispose of any school equipment, supplies, or property.
Custodial/Maintenance employees shall:
- attend all meetings called by the superintendent or building principal,
- appear neat and clean when working with teachers, pupils, or the public,
- courteously fulfill their duties, and
- observe all policies and regulations of the school system
- obtain permission from the building principal before adding additional hours above and beyond the contract
- attend training as directed by the superintendent or building principal to gain further knowledge of plant operations.
Principal Custodial Duties:
- Vacuum all assigned work areas on a daily basis,
- Dust furniture and fixtures on a daily basis.
- Wash all tabletops weekly or more often as needed.
- Wash all windows monthly or more often as needed.
- Wash all foyer windows daily.
- Clean and sanitize all assigned restrooms daily.
- Clean and sanitize areas where student accidents occur immediately as directed.
- Deliver and pick up mail as directed.
- Pick up hallways at least every two hours or more as needed when students are present.
- Clean and dispose of all trash daily or more as needed.
- Be responsible for opening and closing the building as directed.
- Remove snow from grounds as directed by supervisor.
- Maintain outside grounds as directed by the Principal.
- Be present in the lunchroom during student lunch periods to maintain a clean eating area for the students.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Principal Maintenance Duties:
- Check maintenance request booklet on a daily basis, completing the request within 5 working days.
- Plumbing duties:
- Maintain boilers in good working order. Contact service provider as needed.
- Maintain restroom fixtures, water heaters, and other building plumbing equipment in good working order.
- Electrical duties:
- Maintain all minor electrical equipment in good working order. Contact service provider as needed.
- Change light bulbs and ballasts as necessary, according to all pertinent safety standards.
- Maintain electrical systems of heating and air conditioning in good working order. Contact service provider as needed.
- Carpentry duties:
- Maintain and repair all portable equipment in good working order including cleaning machines and power tools.
- Maintain and repair all classroom furniture and equipment in good working order.
- Maintain and repair all outside playground equipment as needed.
- Maintain an inventory of all maintenance supplies and parts.
- Complete painting of district facilities as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary/desirable for this position:
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products, and equipment
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of
- cleaning chemicals and products
- Team player
- Decision making
- Effective verbal, written & listening communication
- Time management
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Honest and trustworthy
- Flexible and adaptable
- Sound work ethic
This can be a physically demanding position. Maintenance employees spend the majority of the time standing, walking, lifting heavy objects, and operating equipment. There is the possibility of doing a great deal of stretching and bending, often in awkward positions. Additionally, there are the dangers associated with using cleaning products, if not utilized appropriately,
Supervisor/Evaluator: Building Principal
Board of Directors reserves the right to annul or terminate this employee’s contract for incompetency or inattention to his/her work, or for personal habits inconsistent with proper rules of conduct.
Date of Adoption: February 26, 2001
Reviewed & Revised: March 11, 2002; January 15, 2007; February 21, 2011; January 10, 2014